Sunday 6 May 2012

The Blue Ribbon in Progress

Well, I placed the unfinished Turkish Panel aside and I'm keen to get back to it as a I have a solid plan for the border. But today I woke up unusually early for a Sunday, to continue with my small oil painting The Blue Ribbon. It was a really enjoyable day ~ I sat in the window in the natural spring sunlight and used small brushes to slowly begin layering at this painting in a  lazy stream of consciousness. It's a self portrait, and I will not try to explain it yet as it's still got a way to go, although I can tell I will finish it in just a few days. Typical me to fall into my fairy tale world. Oh well, here it is so far, mildly hoping to draw on subtle influences from Leonora Carrington and Edward Hopper. More on those two later. To defend my ambitious habit of clinging to such great mentors for guidance, remember that Oscar Wilde said "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars".


No comments:

Post a Comment